Manic Monday. Remember that song? It was an 80’s Bangles hit along with Walk Like an Egyptian. We used to bop around to their upbeat music with catchy lyrics.
I caught myself repeatedly singing Manic Monday today as I tried to get myself through my own Monday madness.
Mondays are tough in our household. Even though I try to keep the kids on the same nighttime schedule the whole week, we inadvertently end up going to bed later on the weekends. The kids always start out Mondays with a weekend hangover. Today though, seemed particularly difficult. It went something like this:
- 5:30 Spouse got up and showered
- 6:10 Spouse woke me up to shower. I’m supposed to get up at 6:00.
- 6:15 Spouse poked Number 1 for the first time as he went out to feed the outside animals.
- 6:20 I got out of shower and poked Number 1 for the second time.
- 6:30 I went down and shook Number 1.
- 6:30-6:50 Number 1 had breakdown because he couldn’t fall asleep last night and was “too tired” to go to school. I made 2 lunches, packed 4 school bags with snacks, gave Mr. Beasley, the beagle, his medicine and tried to get Number 1 to eat breakfast. At some point Spouse left for work already late.
- 6:50 Number 1 left for the bus with a parting, “you are the worst.” I woke up Numbers 2, 3 and 4. Number 5 got up on his own, cheery as usual.
- 6:55 Surprisingly Number 3 was up and dressed lickety-split.
- 7:00 Woke up Numbers 2 and 4 again. Fed Numbers 3 and 5.
- 7:10 Warned Numbers 2 and 4 that we had to leave the house in 10 minutes. Number 4 suffered a breakdown because she scratched herself with her own fingernail and “it really hurt the worst.”
- 7:12 Fixed boo-boo with band aid.
- 7:25 Fed Number 2, fed the dogs, discovered regurgitated sock in Maggie’s crate, cleaned Maggie’s crate.
- 7:25 Left the house 5 minutes late.
- 7:40 Dropped Number 3 at his school for his before school violin lesson. He did not have his violin.
- 7:42-8:00 Returned home, fetched violin and brought it to Number 3’s school. Also got cough drop for Number 4.
- 8:00-8:18 Drove to Number 2’s school and sat there until he could go into school.
- 8:25 Dropped Number 4 at her school.
- 8:30-9:15 Returned home, ate breakfast, dressed Number 5, let Maggie out for exercise, put Maggie back in crate.
- 9:20-11:15 Took Number 5 to playgroup.
- 11:15-2:00 Fed Number 5 lunch, let Maggie out of her crate, put her back in, took Mom for blood work, went grocery shopping.
- 2:00-2:30 Put groceries away and set up dinner in crock pot. Number 1 came home from school. I am no longer, “the worst.”
- 2:30-3:10 I don’t know what happened.
- 3:10-4:00 Numbers 2-4 came home from school, fed them snacks, helped with homework, negotiated peace between Numbers 2 and 3.
- 4:00-4:15 Drove Numbers 2-4 to CCD
- 4:25-5:00 Snapped beans, started potatoes cooking in oven, helped Number 5 with Play doh, packed water bottles, put sports bags and cleats in car, packed snacks.
- 5:00-5:40 Picked kids up from CCD, fed them snacks in car as they changed into sports clothes. Dropped Number 2 at soccer, dropped Number 3 at lacrosse, returned home.
- 5:40-6:15 Finished getting dinner ready. Called credit card company because we have charges on the bill that aren’t ours.
- 6:15 Spouse walked in door, I gave instructions and walked out.
- 6:20-7:15 I picked up Number 3 from lacrosse at 6:30 and Number 2 from soccer at 7:00. Negotiated peace between Numbers 2 and 3. Spouse ate dinner with Mom and Numbers 4 and 5, fed animals and chased chickens to get them into the coop. I watched from the car when I pulled in. It was very entertaining.
- 7:15-8:00 Ate dinner with Numbers 2 and 3, cleaned up. Made Number 3 take a shower. He had breakdown that started with “he never has time to do anything” and escalated to him crying about a scene he saw in a movie. Sent Numbers 3 and 4 to bed.
- 8:00 Spouse had to go back to hospital.
- 8:00-8:45 Discovered Maggie had rolled in something that smelled horrific and gave her a bath. Finally put Number 5 to bed.
- 8:45-9:15 Unclogged drain in tub from copious amounts of dog hair. It gave me the chance to try the baking soda/vinegar method of clearing drains that I had read about little while ago. It also fulfilled my craving for seeing a strong chemical reaction. Made Numbers 1 and 2 take showers and sent them to bed.
- 9:15-10:00 Thought of and wrote my blog post. Thought about cleaning the bathroom after the “Maggie bomb” went off in it. Decided it could wait until tomorrow.
- 10:00-11:00 Whoopee it’s free time. Pick up house, answer work emails (I don’t work on Mondays, yeah right). Think about paying bills. Decide they can wait until tomorrow. Make list for everything that needs to be done tomorrow that I didn’t get done today. Spouse still not home.
- 11:00 Go to bed to do it all again tomorrow.
Blogging my way from A to Z as part of the 2014 April A to Z Challenge!